So, like I said a few weeks ago, I get sent books and decks and Kickstarters all the time, and it's made me run into an ethical issue. I don't like reviewing something I haven't touched. It's weird and feels fake. Like, I have a book at home that I need to review, and I'm not writing a single word about until I'm finished with it.
The problem this raises with Kickstarters is that the deck doesn't exist yet. How can I review something that isn't here yet? I've started relying on the imagery. The Pagan Otherworlds Tarot is So fricking beautiful, and I backed it after just looking at one picture from it. The Little Monsters deck, too. This next deck is the same. I think that instead of a "review", I'll just consider these posts a way to share cool decks that are coming around. I haven't read with them, obviously, but there is something there, for sure.
The Ethereal Visions deck is not my type of deck - at first glance. It's got gold foil on each card, which would have set off my 'flashy' radar generally. It's also very character heavy, which isn't always my favorite. BUT (and this is a big but), it's just completely beautiful. Each picture is in the style of Art Nouveau and they're small works of art. I would read with this deck because I feel it would be a pleasure to hold them in my hands. Also, the expressions on the character's faces tell story after story. This is not a poorly thought out, pretty deck. This is going to be a wonderful tool. Matt Hughes has built something beautiful here, and he's also filled out the LFT Questionnaire for us (see below the magnificent art)
So - I'm gonna back the kickstarter - and you can, too. It launches in 2 days or so.
with Matt Hughes - creator of the Ethereal Visions Tarot
1. What you appreciate the most in your friends.
Their honesty and support
2. Your idea of happiness.
Producing art full time while enjoying our home in the mountains.
3. Your idea of misery.
Not being able to produce art
4. Where would you like to live?
In nature – preferably in the mountains
5. Your favorite colors and flowers.
Lavender and I love all flowers
6. Your favorite poets.
Edgar Allen Poe
7. Your heroes/heroines in fiction.
Captain America and Doctor Who
8. What role does divination play in your life?
I’m just now becoming familiar through the development of this tarot card deck
9. Your heroes/heroines in real life.
Alphonse Mucha and John Singer Sargent
10. What is your present state of mind?
Stressed and excited
11. What is your favorite tarot deck or divination tool?
The one I am working on
12. Your favorite songs?
I am I by Queensryche
13. What is your favorite word?
14. What is your least favorite word?
15. What sound or noise do you love?
16. What sound or noise do you hate?
17. What turns you on?
18. What turns you off?
19. What is your favorite curse word?
20. If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Back again, huh?